Sunday, May 10, 2015

Orange Zested Chocolate Chip Scones

Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's of every variety out there. 

In addition to copious amounts of cooking, I also am a con-ner. No, I do not commit scams and rob people of their hard earned money, I go to conventions. Nerdy nerdy conventions full of things like cosplays, bronies, trekkie, and jedis. There awesome. I apologize for nothing. I went to one in early April. I crashed at my cousin's house afterwards. As a thank you for letting me couch surf, I baked them breakfast scones! My niece found them salty. But I liked them.  They tasted like a Terry's chocolate orange. 

Note 1: I had no chocolate chips, so I used semi-sweet chocolate bar that I chopped up.  

Orange Zested Chocolate Chip Scones - Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen pg. 190. 

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
  • 1/3 cup of sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
  • 1 tbsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon 
  • 1/4 cup of vegan margarine or refined coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup of non diary milk (almond, soy, or rice milk) plus extra for brushing
  • 1tbsp of freshly squeezed orange juice
  • zest of one medium orange
  • 2/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, dairy free
Directions

Note 2: I am writing about the method using the food processor, cause that's what I used. There is also a method using your hands

Note 3: Don't forget parchment paper! I just oil the pan and my scones burned a little. 

1) preheat over to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper

2) In a food processor, process the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon until combined

3) Add the margarine, and pulse until crumbly. Add the non-dairy milk, orange zest, orange juice,  and pulse until the dough just comes together. Don't overmix

4) Transfer dough to a bowl and fold in chocolate chips. 

5) Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and liberally flour the top of the dough. Pat the dough into a circle about one inch thick. 

6) Using a sharp knife, cut the dough like a pizza into 8 triangular slices. Transfer each slice to the prepared baking sheet. Leave two inches in between each slice. Brush the tops with non-dairy milk and sprinkle with sugar.

7) Bake for 15 minutes. Until golden on top. Let cool and serve.


semi-sweet chocolate bar, all chopped up. 


Other ingredients. 

folding the chocolate into the dough

floured surface

GIANT COOKIE SCONE. NOM.

On the oiled pan. Use the parchment paper. 

SCONES 

No comments:

Post a Comment