Monday, March 9, 2015

Checkout 51

I spend too much money on food. Have I mentioned this?

My pantry is full. Like FULL. It's gotten to the point where I am buying items that I already have because I cannot see them in the pantry. Then I later find them buried under teas and quinoa and vital wheat gluten and I curse myself for having wasted the money.

There is a couple of ways I try to save money on groceries. One way is buying as much local produce/in season produce as I possibly can. In the harvest months this is easy. Ontario in the summer and fall is cornucopia of berries and cucumbers and peppers. Peaches and pears and corn and squash. Kale and spinach and other greens. Cheap and healthy meal planning is a lot easier.

Winter is more barren. Local produce is limited to mostly carrots, onions, parsnips, beets, rutabaga, apples, hot house tomatoes and green house cucumbers.

I can and do use these winter veggies in my cooking. But there are only so many roasted root veggie platters, soups and stews you can make. So how else can I save money?

One way is Checkout 51.

Checkout 51 is an app available for Iphones and Androids (I have a droid). Every week, it posts products, offering money off if you buy certain products. For instance, Kelloggs may offer $1 off any of its cereal that you buy.

The companies that sell these products are the ones making the offer. They do it to encourage people to buy/try their products.

When I am planning my grocery list (I always shop with a list) I look at what is bring offered to see if there is anything I can use in my meal planning. This week I can get $1 off Silk Almond Milk. Silk is offering $1 any of their milk products to encourage people to try their new Cashew Milk. I go through a carton of almond milk a week. So this is great. I also "boosted" my savings by posting the deal to Facebook. So now, when I go to purchase my milk, I will get a $1.50 off.

Also, I can get $1 Thai Kitchen products. Thai kitchen is my second favourite coconut milk. The first being the organic coconut milk I get at a health food store. Usually, a can of coconut milk is $3.49. Pricey. The offer makes it $2.49. The organic milk at the health food store is $2.19. However, the health food store is 10 minute drive away. The store where I can get Thai kitchen is on my way to work. When I factor in convenience, the deal is worth it. The coconut milk will be featured in a soup I am making for guests on the 28th (yes I will post the recipe).

After I purchase the products, I take pictures of the receipts and "claim" the offer all on the app. Once approved, my Checkout 51 account is credited. When I have $20 in the account, I am sent a cheque.

Companies use the pictures of the receipts to insure you have bought the product, and as market research to see what else you are buying.

There are some downsides to Checkout 51. The offers are time limited, so you only have so long to buy the products. Also, there is very little fresh produced offered. 99.9% of the offers are for pre-packaged food, household products and personal care items.

You also need some self control, It's very tempting to buy some of the products just because you know you will get money off. I think the companies are banking on this. But if you aren't going to use it/eat it, and if it wasn't part or your original meal planning for week, it's still a waste of money.

If you can deal with all that, then Checkout 51 is for you! Check it out!

3 comments:

  1. This app sounds like a great idea. I think I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you find this helpful! I really love the app.

    ReplyDelete