Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Apie Life

It's a new blog! YAY!

Hello. My name is Apie. And I am a foodie.

The most expensive thing I pay every month is rent. The second most expensive thing is my grocery bill. I love food. I love trying new recipes, I love mastering new culinary skills, I love making food for others. I love introducing others to new ways to cooks and to look at food. I love taking pictures of food. I love posting pictures of food.

Yes I am one of THOSE people.

As a child, I was a horrible terrible picky eater and am single-handily responsible for all of my mother's grey hair. This persisted long past the time when such things are cute in children and lasted until I went to university. When all of sudden, away from my mother's kitchen, I had complete control of what I could eat.

My mother always insured that my sister and I had healthy, nutritious meals growing up. A south-Indian vegetarian family, rice, lentils and vegetables featured heavily in our meals (I became a full vegetarian at 10). It was solid food. And mom still makes a few dishes that I love. But as dedicated as she was to our diets, mom hates cooking. So trying new recipes wasn't high up on her priority list. Besides, why would she bother when she had a little terror who wouldn't eat 3/4 the things she made anyway.

Now at university, I was all over the cafeteria. I ate pizza for breakfast, washed it down with soda, and went to class. I ate cereal for dinner. I ate pastries for lunch.

But this was also the time I started cooking for myself. And I discovered the cooking was not the chore it was for mom. It was fun! Eventually, I settled into making relatively healthy meals for myself.

Fast forward 10 years. I am working in my chosen profession, living the single and baby-free life, and still love to cook. Over time, this love has evolved into a passion for making healthy, tasty meals. I've now been a vegetarian for 20 years and over the last year, I have been cooking more and more vegan food. I have been loving the results. I post many pictures on Facebook. And friends suggested I make a blog instead of blowing up their walls.

Will I ever go fully vegan? I don't know. I hope so. I know that that lifestyle is what best fits with my ethics, morals and beliefs. I know myself well enough that I cannot be bullied into something. I work best under my own terms. I am allowing myself a very long transition. I find new ways to make changes as time goes on.

Expect this blog to contain many pictures of food and recipes. Expect guest blogging from my sister! Another vegetarian foodie. But it wont all be about food. Expect posts about politics. Food politics, environmental politics, money and politics, how it all connects. Expect some randomness.

This should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment