Saturday, April 25, 2015

"Meatball" Sliders (A favourite)

For this recipe I return to Chloe Coscarelli and "Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen". 

This was the very first recipe I made from this book. And it started my obsession with the book in general. The sliders are easy to make, but labour intensive. However, the results are SO worth it. Everyone I have ever made these sliders for loves them. The majority of my close friends are meat-eaters, and they adore them. To the point where one friend told me not to show up at her party without them. I obliged of course. 

The results are a savory saucy snack sandwich which are the ideal appetizer. I wouldn't really recommend them as a meal though, unless paired with quinoa or a chickpea salad. Something with a high protein count. The brown rice in the "meatballs" doesn't seem like enough to me. 

Note 1: the "meatballs" freeze really well. The pictures below is actually a double batch being made. I froze half of the "meatballs" and waited 2 weeks before thawing them out and frying them. Still just as good. When freezing, simply place the prepared balls in a plastic container and cover. I've actually used ice cube trays and covered them with foil. It worked. The balls will need several hours to thaw completely. So place them in the fridge the night before you need them. 

Note 2: the book calls for making Chloe's version of "Classic pesto sauce" pg 233. I don't bother. Instead I buy Sunflower Kitchen pesto. Picture below. Sunflower pesto does not contain any dairy, the way traditional pesto does. BUT! It also does not contain any nuts. This is key for me. Traditional pesto uses pine nuts. As I said, I often make this dish for friends. Two of whom have nut allergies. One of the allergies is quite severe, anaphylaxis is a risk. Vegan cooking often involves nuts. So it's great that I can make something like this, which everyone can eat and enjoy! PS. Sunflower Kitchen pesto is delicious. They also make a Kale pesto which is very nice, and lots of different hummus. 

Meatball Sliders - Chloes Vegan Italian Kitchen pg. 98 

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp of olive oil, plus extra for brushing
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1.5 cups of cooked brown rice - cooled
  • 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
  • 1/4 all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp of dried basil
  • 1.5 tsp of sea salt
  • 1 tsp of black pepper
  • 1/4 of crushed red pepper (optional)
  • canola oil for frying
  • slider buns or dinner rolls
  • 1 cup of tomato sauce
  • Pesto sauce
  • Fresh basil leave for assembly 

Directions

1) heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms and cook until soft and lightly browned. 
2) Add garlic a cook for a few more minutes, transfer to a food processor. Save skillet for later use.
3) Add the cooled brown rice, bread crumbs, flour, basil, salt, pepper and red pepper (if using), to the food processor. Pulse the mixture until it just comes together. If needed, transfer to a bowl and mix with your (clean) hands. Season to taste and let it cool slightly. 
4) Form mixture into 1-2 inch balls. Form your balls to fit your buns. (yes you can laugh at that. I did. #mature) 
5) Heat canola oil in the saved skillet over medium high heat. Pan-fry meatballs in batches (usually 4-5 at a time depending on the size of the pan). Add more oil as needed.
6) Slice the buns in half and brush the insides with olive oil. Toast in a saute pan over medium heat until lightly browned on the edges. Layer a spoonful of tomato sauce, a meatball, a spoonful of pesto, and a basil leaf in each slider. Stick each slider with a party pick to hold together and serve. 

Note 3: Make the brown rice before you do anything else. While it is cooling, you can be frying the mushroom and onion and whatnot. 

Note 4: The recipe doesn't specify what type of mushroom to use. I find that some baby-bello (baby portobello mushrooms) taste best. You can find pre-sliced 8 ounce packages of shrooms to save time. 

Note 5: Although the crushed red pepper is optional, I wouldn't leave it out. It provides a subtle kick which give the meatball more depth. 

Note 6: I don't toast my buns in a skillet. Instead, I lay them out, sliced side up, on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. I nix the oil too. 

Note 7: Remind your guests about the picks. I had a friend eat one once. 

Ingredients 


mushroom and onion in a pan. Remember, this is a double batch.

Soft and browned 

Food processor mixture, prior to pulsing 

from the top

After pulsing. Looks like dog food. Tastes like WIN!

Meatballs before frying 

Frying my balls. 

Browned and ready to go!

Sunflower Kitchen Pesto. Dairy and Nut free!

Assembling the sliders. Tomato sauce on one side, pesto on the other, lay down a basil leaf.

Add a meatball and you're done!

So tasty.....

No comments:

Post a Comment