Tuesday, April 21, 2015

NONA - Product post


I am very interested in environmental friendly living. A big part of my interest in veganism stems from the wish to be as enviro-friendly as I can. 

So when the "Green Living Show" came to Toronto, I went. I got in for free after flashing my presto card. It was a great show, albeit somewhat small. Got to see all the nifty electric cars. I drooled a little. 

In and amongst the petitions to save farmland, and wood carvings were several foodie items. My friend Sandy, who runs the blog "Milk and Eggs " recommended I try Nona, cashew based sauced made right here in Toronto. 

Pureed Cashews are a common feature in vegan cooking. Cashews lend a thick, creamy texture to a dish, very similar to dairy. At my annual Oscar party in February, I made an "Imitation Cheese Dip" in honour of The Imitation Game.  The dish was actually a recipe from Oh She Glows called "Life Affirming Warm Nacho Dip. Here's a link to another blog where someone else made it: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/oh-she-glows-cookbook/

The dish uses cashews to get that thick creamy texture. Until I mentioned it was made from nuts, people actually thought it was cheese! Unfortunately, I don't own a high power blender like a  Vitamix, so my dip wasn't perfectly smooth, even after soaking the nuts overnight. But based on my dip's performance, I had high hopes for these sauces. 

And boy I was not disappointed. 

The Alfredo sauce on the right is spot on. Thick, garlicky, and creamy. The cheese sauce on the left is a close to perfect as a vegan cheese sauce will come. I used both with pasta and I gobbled it up. Gobble gobble. I loved both of them. I will buy it again. Definitely. They are a tad expensive, so they wont be a regular item of purchase. But when I am craving some fettuccine or mac and cheese, I now know where to go. 

Link to Nona's website is above the picture.  

  
http://www.nonavegan.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment