Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Roasted chickpea and broccoli burritos


My last in a series of Thug Kitchen recipes. This one features chickpeas! I love chickpeas, they are pretty common in Indian food, the stuff I was raised on. I consider them familiar comfort food. They are also very nutrient dense, particularly when it comes to protein. Best thing? Very economical. A 15 oz can of chickpeas can form the base of 4-5 meals, all for 77 cents. 

Chickpeas good. Any questions?

Broccoli is another good thing about this recipes. Broccoli is a good source of calcium. And they look like little trees. Which is cool.....I think it's cool. Pack some floss and you're good to go!

This recipes makes a LOT of food, I grew bored of the burritos, so I started throwing the chickpea mixture on salads. It provided a smokey, spicy kick to my greens. Mmmmm. 

Letz go!

Roasted chickpea and broccoli burritos - Thug Kitchen pg 165

Ingredients
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 large crown of broccoli
  • 3 cups of cooked chickpeas (or 2, 15oz cans) 
  • 3 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1-2 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari 
  • 2 tsp of chili powder
  • 1 tsp of ground cumin
  • 1 tsp of smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp of ground coriander (or more cumin) 
  • cayenne pepper to taste
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lime
  • 4-6 flour tortillas
  • burrito "trimmings" : spinach, cilantro, salsa, sliced avocado 

Note 1: The recipe suggests making the "fire roasted salsa" on pg 124. I used store bought Salsa. 
Note 2: the recipe provides the option of using more cumin instead of coriander. That's what I did. 
Note 3: recipes always call for pre-heating the oven at the beginning. I don't do that. I usually start pre-heating about halfway through a recipe. My oven heats pretty fast and I don't like wasting power. 
Note 4: I restructured this recipe and removed the swearing. As I did with my other two Thug Kitchen  recipes. If you want the original, buy the book. 

Directions

1) Chop up the red pepper, onion, and broccoli to about the size of a chickpea
2) Place all the veggies in a large bowl with the cooked chickpeas
3) add the oil and soy sauce, stir, add the rest of the spices and stir. Mix until the chickpeas and veggies are covered. 
4) Place mixture on a large, rimmed baking sheet and bake in a pre-heated oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius of us Canadians) 
5) Remove from oven, add the garlic and stir. Bake for another 15 minutes
Note 5: Things might look a little burnt by now. It's supposed to look like that. No worries. 
6) Remove from oven a second time and squeeze the lime juice all over the pan and stir again. 
7) Adjust seasoning to taste.   
Note 6: I added LOTS more lime juice. Mmmmm sour. 
8) Make a burrito. Spoon a good amount of the chickpea mixture onto a tortilla. Add your "trimmings". Fold, Eat. Be full. 


Chickpea sized veggies 

Ingredients for the marinade-dressing 

Spiced up chickpea mixture 

Before Oven

After the round in the oven 

After the second round in the oven. The mixture condenses somewhat. 

BURRITO! 

No comments:

Post a Comment